Watts Bridge History
Watts Bridge Memorial Airfield is located near Toogoolawah in South East Queensland, Australia. The runways and associated infrastructure were originally built in 1942 as part of the Australian World War II defense program. At the cessation of hostilities the airfield was no longer required by the military so the buildings were removed and the field returned to agricultural usage.
In the early 1980’s a small group of dedicated recreational pilots “re-discovered” Watts Bridge. The runways were completely overgrown, the site being used to graze cattle. The enormous potential for the airfield was immediately recognized. The long and arduous task of reclaiming the airfield runways and taxiways was commenced. The airfield was officially recognized as having significant historical importance and was formally renamed as the ‘Watts Bridge Memorial Airfield’.
By 1990 the airfield had effectively been recovered from the cow paddock, with two grass runways restored to excellent, fully operational condition. The only amenities on the field at this time were two ‘Thunder Boxes’ (primitive Ozzy toilets).
A management committee was formed, the vision being to promote and develop Watts Bridge Memorial Airfield as the long term centre for all forms of recreational aviation in the South East Queensland.
The development plan places great emphasis on recreational aviation activities, to ensure easy, open and affordable access for all aviators.
The internal roadways, taxiways and precincts of Watts Bridge have been named in keeping with the heritage of the airfield and as an ongoing tribute to those who had the vision and determination to see the establishment of the airpark and its facilities.
For more information on Watts Bridge visit www.wattsbridge.com.au